How To Protest 2017 Tax Evaluation in Larimer County
The “assessed value” of your home is a large part of what determines how much you owe for your residential property taxes. The 2017 assessed values in Fort Collins and Larimer County went up SUBSTANTIALLY this year! Did you know that you have the opportunity to protest, should you feel the number assigned to your home is too high? We’ve prepared a “how to” protest your assessed value to help you through the process. Should you like some individual assistance or have specific questions, please feel free to contact us. We love to help!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I protest – Yes, it’s simple and on-line. You have nothing to lose by trying to lower your assessed value.
- Is it better for resale if my home value is high? – generally, tax assessment value is not used in determining sales price.
- Is it worth my time? – If your home’s value is increased by $30,000, on average in Fort Collins that would amount to ~$231/yr in taxes. This value will vary depending on your location.
- What is the latest date I can protest – You have until June 1st, 2017 to protest the value and it will be valid for the next 2 years.
How do I protest?
- You should have received a 2017 Property Valuation card in the mail.
- To protest, go to http://www.larimer.org/assessor/protest/index.cfm. You will need your account and access key.
- After entering your Account Number and Access Key, press “Begin Online Protest”.
- The following screen will come up. The next step is to choose properties that are similar to your property and that have sold for a lower value than your new assessment. It is best if there are properties in your subdivision (A), then next would be your neighborhood (B) and finally all properties in the city that are similar (C). In this example, there are no homes in the subdivision, so we will look at comparables in the Neighborhood (B) and then all properties (C).
- Select the properties that meet the criteria of being similar to your home at a lower 2017 value. You can choose up to 20. Press continue at bottom of page.
- The next page allows you to enter other properties that you did not choose above. If you need additional help finding comparables, please contact me and I’d be happy to help.
*If you have additional information such as an appraisal, you can upload it here.
- Press confirm information. It will give you a summary and you enter your electronic signature. Finished!
If you are interested in getting a free Competitive Market analysis with details on similar homes that have sold as well as the odds of selling your home, please give us a call!James Mitchell News Tags: 2017 property tax, Fort Collins Property Tax, Larimer County Tax Assessment